Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Deutschland

As I consume myself with my ultra fabulous book, Heart of the Matter, I forget my little dorm room does not have internet and that I have yet to blog about my European experience – which reminds me to encourage everyone to check out my fellow traveler’s blog, Europeanboozer.blogspot.com. If only I could be as clever as Chelsea Boozer to create such a unique blog name J. I forgot my cord to connect my camera to my computer, so until my dad mails it to me, Chelsea’s pictures will have to do! Thankfully she is quite the tourist, too, so she has so many pictures and the stories behind their purpose.
So, let me see if I can remember all the way back to Friday when I left and give you all the details I can remember.

Friday I left Memphis and landed in Atlanta. From Atlanta we flew to Frankfurt. We flew, and we flew, and we flew some more.. And we flew for many many hours. I don’t think we ever passed darkness. We flew when it was still daylight in America and by the time we crossed over the Pacific Ocean, it was morning time! On the plane, I watched the Tourist, slept, ate, slept again, and chatted with Chelsea, then slept again. Then, finally, we arrived in Frankfurt, Germany at 8 something on Saturday morning!

Thankfully, it took us no time to get our luggage. It seems like baggage claim takes forever. After we got our bags, we were greeted by the nicest Germans, Karl and Petra. Karl is a professor here at Mainz and Petra is over the international office.

That day (Saturday), all we did was grocery shop and sleep. At first, I was extremely frustrated that I didn’t have internet where I’m staying, but after a while it became kind of nice.

When I woke up Saturday night, I tried for at least two hours to get online, I wanted so badly to call my parents. But after I gave up, I thought to myself, “This is no doubt God’s way of getting you to spend time in His word.” After that, I hadn’t really tried to get on the internet at my place.

I do have to admit, though, it is a hassle having to go to campus (a five minute bus ride) to get internet.

Sunday, Christina and I walk to our professor, Dr. Arant’s, apartment (a 30 minute walk, clearly before we learned the bus system). From there I called my parents and updated my facebook status. Oh, did I mention, I woke up at 5:30am?? Yeah, jetlag much?? I was wide awake and couldn’t go back to sleep. It was sad. So, I drank numerous amounts of coffee and read my Emily Giffin novel. So anyways, I’m at my professor’s using internet, when we all decide to stroll the beautiful city of Mainz and get some lunch. After many miles of walking in downtown Germany, Christina and I decide it’s time for some serious  nap time. Sadly, we didn’t have time to even go home and change before we had to be at dinner. Needless to say, it was a long day. But eventful and fun!

So, that brings me to Monday!

Have you ever felt like a little wined up toy? You know, the ones you get in like, a kids meal?? Well, that’s how I felt.

I got up around 10ish and headed to meet some Mainz students for lunch and a city tour. Lunch was GREAT! I couldn’t tell you what I had, but it was at some place called “Mosch Mosch.” After my huge bowl of noodle soup full of chicken, spinach, carrots, and onions, we all head off to buy our tickets for the tour of Mainz. Yeah.. It took twice as long as it was supposed to because the guide man had to speak German and then translate to us foreigners.. Awesome.. So anyways, it was very cool – going in Cathedrals and learning the historical background.

After that was over, the two German students took us around and showed us the “hotspots” of Mainz. It was great fun until I realized, “Hey, I just walked five miles away from where the bus is.” Which naturally means I have to walk another five miles back to the bus. As you can probably tell, I don’t walk much. I mean sure, I workout, but I do not walk or bike everywhere I go. Props to Europeans. Hardly anyone here has a car, or even a license. The majority of students bike everywhere, and if they done bike, they bus it everywhere. The bus comes around all day long and there are bus stops on every corner. I’m really not complaining or anything – I expect to go back to the States a size 0. However, with the way I am trying to get a “cultural” experience, I don’t quite think that will happen.

So anyways, after the tour of the popular places among college students, I bought the most fabulous pair of European shorts (which should be downloaded to facebook as soon as I get my cord), I felt myself forcing myself to keep going, yet slowly dying down (much like the toy).

After we figured out the bus system and little better and I arrive in my dorm, I sit on my little beg with a huge bowl of cereal and my book. I started reading at  6pm and stopped 12 am. With few bathroom breaks, I got a lot of reading done J. Proud to be a fairly new “reader lover.”

Sorry this blog was enormous; I will try my best to stay on top of my days! Right now I’m in my room typing this on a word document and not directly on my blog (because, remember, I don’t have internet). I will post it tomorrow as soon as I can find a signal somewhere.

Oh yeah, and if there are any grammatical errors (which, I know there are), I am going to have to ask you to ignore them! I am so exhausted, seeing as I’m still on Memphis time and it’s only 5:30pm there and 12:30 in the morning here. Time for just one more chapter and then to bed! Long day tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment